NOTICE OF PRIVACY PRACTICES
THIS NOTICE DESCRIBES HOW MEDICAL INFORMATION ABOUT YOU MAY BE USED OR DISCLOSED AND HOW YOU CAN GET ACCESS TO THIS INFORMATION. PLEASE REVIEW IT CAREFULLY.
ArjoHuntleigh is required by law to maintain the privacy of certain health information about you, and to inform you of its practices with respect to the privacy of that information. This Notice of Privacy Practices is being provided to inform you of the ways that ArjoHuntleigh may use the personal information it collects about you and how it may disclose that information.
Federal and state laws require health care providers to protect the privacy of information about your health, your health care, and payment for your health care, if that information identifies you or could be used to identify you. The law permits us to use or disclose your protected health information only for certain specific purposes, unless you give us a written authorization permitting us to make other uses and disclosures. This notice describes the purposes for which we may use or disclose protected health information about you.
The law also gives you certain rights with respect to your protected health information. This notice provides a summary of those rights.
USES AND DISCLOSURES FOR TREATMENT, PAYMENT AND HEALTH CARE OPERATIONS
We may use and disclose health information about you without your specific authorization for purposes of treatment, payment and health care operations.
Treatment - As it pertains to ArjoHuntleigh, treatment means providing to you medical equipment as ordered by your physician. Treatment also includes coordination and consultation with your physician and other health care providers. ArjoHuntleigh may use your protected health information, in coordination with your physician, to determine the best course of treatment for you.
Payment - We may use and disclose health information for activities required to obtain payment from you or your insurance carrier for the services provided to you by ArjoHuntleigh. Examples of these activities are eligibility determination, pre-certification, billing and collection.
Health care operations - Health care operations include review of your protected health information by members of ArjoHuntleigh’s professional staff to ensure compliance with all federal and state regulations. This information will be used to improve the quality and effectiveness of the services provided to you by ArjoHuntleigh. Health care operations also include ArjoHuntleigh’s business management and general administrative activities.
OTHER USES AND DISCLOSURES THAT DO NOT REQUIRE AUTHORIZATION
There are a limited number of other purposes for which we may use or disclose your health information without a written authorization from you.
- We may use or disclose protected health information when the use or disclosure is required by law.
- We may use or disclose protected health information to avert a serious threat to your health or safety, or the health and safety of others.
- We may disclose protected health information to a legally-authorized government authority, such as a social service or protective services agency, if we reasonably believe you are a victim of abuse, neglect or domestic violence.
- We may disclose protected health information to agencies authorized by law to conduct health oversight activities, such as licensing, inspections, and audits.
- We may disclose protected health information in response to court orders or subpoenas, and for certain law enforcement purposes.
- We may disclose protected health information to authorized government agencies when necessary for national security or intelligence purposes, or for certain military and veteran’s activities.
- We may disclose protected health information to attorneys, accountants, and others acting on our behalf, provided they have signed written contracts agreeing to protect the confidentiality of the information.
- Unless you object, we may disclose to a member of your family, another relative, a close personal friend, or any other person identified by you, the protected health information directly relevant to that person’s involvement with your health care or payment for your health care.
USES AND DISCLOSURES WITH YOUR AUTHORIZATION
We must obtain your prior authorization for uses and disclosures of your protected health information for marketing purposes and any sale of your protected health information. We will obtain your authorization for any use or disclosure of your protected health information for purposes other than those summarized above. You may revoke an authorization at any time, except to the extent we have acted in reliance on the authorization, by sending a written notice of revocation to the address on the last page of this notice.
YOUR RIGHTS REGARDING YOUR PROTECTED HEALTH INFORMATION
You have the following rights concerning your protected health information. You may exercise these rights by sending a written request to the address on the last page of this notice.
- You may request additional restrictions to the use or disclosure of your protected health information for treatment, payment or health care operations. However, in most cases we are not required to agree to the requested restrictions. We are required to agree to a request to restrict disclosure of your protected health information to a health plan if the disclosure is for payment or health care operations and pertains to a health care item or service for which you have paid out of pocket in full.
- We normally contact you by telephone or mail at your home address. You may request that we contact you at some other address or telephone number, or by some other method, such as e-mail. We will accommodate reasonable requests.
- You may inspect and obtain a copy of protected health information that is used to make decisions about your care or payment for your care. We may deny a request to inspect records only in a few limited circumstances. If you request copies of records, we may charge you a reasonable fee for the copies.
- You have the right to request amendment of the protected health information we maintain about you. We may deny your request if we determine that the record is accurate and complete, or if we did not create the record, unless the creator of the record is no longer available, or if you do not have a right to access the record. If we deny your request, you have the right to submit a statement disagreeing with our decision and to have the statement attached to the record.
- You may request an accounting of certain disclosures we have made of your protected health information. The accounting is not required to include disclosures for treatment, payment, or health care operations, disclosures to persons involved in your health care or payment, disclosures for notification purposes, or disclosures with your written authorization, unless the disclosure is through an electronic health record. You may receive one accounting free of charge within a 12-month period. We may charge a reasonable fee for all subsequent requests during the same 12-month period.
- You have the right to receive notification in the event of an unpermitted use or disclosure of your unsecured protected health information which compromises the security or privacy of your information.
- You have the right to obtain a paper copy of this notice upon request.
AMENDMENT OF THIS NOTICE
We reserve the right to change the terms of this Notice of Privacy Practices, and to make the new notice provisions effective for all protected health information that we maintain. If we amend the terms of this notice, you may obtain a copy of the revised notice by sending a request to the address below.
FOR MORE INFORMATION OR TO REPORT A PROBLEM
If you have questions or would like additional information about our privacy practices, please call or write:
2349 W. Lake Street
Addison, IL. 60101
Attn: Compliance Officer
Telephone: 800-323-1245 ext. 57986
If you believe that your privacy rights have been violated, you may file a written complaint at the address above. You may also file a complaint with the Secretary of Health and Human Services by writing or calling:
Office for Civil Rights, Region V
233 N. Michigan Ave. - Suite 240
Chicago, IL 60601
(312) 886-2359; (312) 353-5693 (TDD)
(312) 886-1807 FAX
This Notice of Privacy Practices is effective June 1, 2013.
Personal data and business contacts
Through our websites, ArjoHuntleigh will not collect any personal data about you (e.g. your name, address, telephone number or email address), unless you voluntarily choose to submit it to us (e.g. by registration, survey), or provide your consent, or unless otherwise permitted by applicable laws and regulations for the protection of personal data and business contacts.
Purpose of use of data
When you do provide us with personal data, we use it to respond to your inquiry, process your order or provide you access to specific information or offers and to support our customer relationship with you.
We may store and process business contacts and share them with our worldwide affiliates to better understand your business needs and how we can improve our products and services.
We (or a third party on our behalf) may use business contacts to share information about an ArjoHuntleigh offer in support of your business needs or to conduct online surveys to better understand our customers’ needs.
If you choose not to have your personal data used to support our customer relationship (especially direct marketing or market research), we will respect your choice. We do not sell or otherwise market your personal data to third parties, except to ArjoHuntleigh affiliates.
Communications or utilization data
Through your use of telecommunications services or access to our website, your communications data (e.g. internet protocol address) or utilization data (e.g. information on the beginning, end and extent of each access, and information on the telecommunications services you accessed) are technically generated and could conceivably relate to personal data. To the extent that there is a compelling necessity, the collection, processing and use of your communications or utilization data will occur and will be performed in accordance with the applicable data privacy protection legal framework.
Non-personal data collected automatically
When you access our websites, we may automatically (i.e. not by registration) collect non-personal data (e.g. type of internet browser and operating system used, domain name of the website from which you came, number of visits, average time spent on the site, pages viewed). We may use this data and share it with our worldwide affiliates to monitor the attractiveness of our websites and improve their performance or content.
“Cookies” – Information stored automatically on your computer
When you view one of our websites, we may store some data on your computer in the form of a “cookie” to automatically recognize your PC the next time you visit. Cookies can help us in may ways, for example by allowing us to tailor a website to better match your interests or to store your password to save you having to re-enter it each time. If you do not wish to receive cookies, please configure your internet browser to erase all cookies from your computer and hard drive, block all cookies or to receive a warning before a cookie is stored.
To protect your data against accidental or unlawful destruction, loss or alteration and against unauthorized disclosure or access, ArjoHuntleigh uses technical and organizational security measures.
Links to other websites
ArjoHuntleigh websites may contain links to other websites. ArjoHuntleigh is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of other websites.